Emergency Care in North Richland Hills
Your pet may encounter emergency situations, so we are here to help. The veterinary doctors and staff at Cornerstone Animal Hospital have extensive knowledge and experience in emergency and critical care medicine.
If your pet has acute vomiting and diarrhea, Parvo Virus infection, breathing difficulties, diseases of the heart, kidney, or liver, we will establish treatment plans to fit your pet’s needs. Other conditions requiring close monitoring and hospitalization, such as seizures, pancreatitis, diabetes, Diabetic Ketoacidosis (DKA), and poisonings, are also taken care of at our facility.
If your pet has an emergency during our regular hours, just give us a call or come see us. As your neighborhood clinic, we want you to walk right in when your pet is in need of our care and we will do everything we can to care for your pet’s specific needs. If your pet needs emergency surgery, we are equipped to handle the procedures and make your pet’s stay as comfortable as possible. If an emergency occurs after-hours, we have partnered with exemplary 24 hour hospitals in the area, and will work together to provide the best follow-up care if necessary.
What are Emergency situations needing Immediate Veterinary Care?
- Acute Collapse or Unconsciousness
- Difficulty breathing or nonstop coughing and gagging
- Not drinking or eating for a day or more
- Suspected or known ingestion of foreign material like bone, socks, coin etc
- Dog / Animal Bite Wounds, Lacerations
- Severe bleeding or bleeding that doesn’t stop within 5 minutes
- Bleeding from nose, mouth, rectum, coughing up blood, or blood in urine
- Inability to urinate or pass feces (stool), or obvious pain associated with urinating or passing stool
- Injuries to your pet’s eye(s)
- Suspected or known ingestion of poisonous material (such as antifreeze, Chewing Gum (xylitol), Grapes, raisins, chocolate, rodent poison (Rat Baits)
- Seizures and/or staggering
- Fractured bones, severe lameness or inability to move leg(s)
- Obvious signs of pain or extreme anxiety
- Heat stress or heatstroke
- Severe vomiting or diarrhea – more than 2 episodes in a 24-hour period, or either of these combined with obvious illness
If your pet needs emergency surgery we are all equipped to handle it. Patients will be closely monitored during and after surgery until ready to go home. Emergency surgical procedures performed at Cornerstone Animal Hospital are
- Removing foreign body (bone, metal etc) from stomach or intestines
- Abdominal exploratory (in suspected foreign body or tumors)
- Cesarian section to deliver puppies
- Pyometra (Uterus infection) surgery
- Splenectomy (spleen removal in tumors/other conditions)
- Gastric dilation and volvulus (GDV or twisted stomach)
- Perineal urethrostomy (PU) for urine blocked male cats
- Tracheostomy in respiratory distress
- Wound / Laceration repair
- Eye ball fixing /removal (when eye ball pop out)
- Amputation of leg or digits in cancers or in irreparable damages
- Several other emergency surgical procedures are also performed.
In Case of an Emergency during after-hours
Cornerstone Animal Hospital offers emergency medical services for your pet during normal business hours. We are equipped to handle most of your pet’s emergencies and emergency surgeries.
If you have an emergency outside of our regular business hours, we recommend that you contact one of the following nearby emergency facilities:
Animal Emergency Hospital of North Texas
Phone: (817) 410-2273
2700 West State Hwy 114, Grapevine, TX 76051
Airport Freeway Animal Hospital
Phone: (817) 571-2088
833 West Airport Freeway, Euless, TX 76040
For more information on emergency care, please don’t hesitate to contact us today at (817) 514-8387.